Saturday, October 17, 2009

Does a customer matter?

This is a result of a chat I was having with Dhammo...

With most government services in India, it has been my experience now but I had not joined the dots to see the pattern. Getting enrolled into a new service is a breeze but try making a change or something which is slightly out of ordinary with a government service and wham the Gods of red tape get invoked and woe betides you.. let me give you examples....

1. So you have a landline with BSNL and now want to change it from your fathers name to your name - Why would anyone want it - I can think of countless reasons - You want to setup a ECS from your account to pay the bills, you want a proof of address are a few - end of matter, you will visit the office a few times, fill a few forms and then follow up. But try surrendering the old phone and getting a new one - it will happen in a few days and very efficiently

2. So you have a gas connection and want it shifted : you should hear to what Dhammo is going through - they will want a proof that the transfer order you got is genuine, but try getting a new connection - should be lot simpler

3. You want to change you rag tag paper book Driving licence to a smart card : ( for this I want to give out my villainous laugh!!) - try applying afresh ( still hard to get a licence - not cause of your driving skills but due to the random processes)

I can go on but you smart readers have got the drift. I think this is because, the customer orientation is very low in most of these places. There is a pressure to streamline processes which have the maximum impact and footfalls, new customer acquisition is a thrust area where you directly compete with private sector - so those processes get streamlined sooner, get watched for complaints and efficiency but those odd jobs get lost. Prof. Thiru, my marketing prof at IIM-B used to tell us that the real customer orientation and service should be checked by testing these out of ordinary requests. ( His favourite for a hotel was - call late night - ask for curd rice to be prepared from 'not hot' rice, fresh curds, with a little garnishing within the next 20 mins!!)

While I think the government has a long way to go in this matter, the private sector also struggles. 'My manual says so' is the attitude I run into. So all you consultants out there, doing BPR - keep this in mind the next time. Pareto is ok but the rest 20% also matters in customer service..

No comments: