Saturday, July 7, 2007

Are Indian Chit funds equivalent of P2P lending?

This post is primarily triggered by this new (?) concept which is taking off in the west - called Peer- to-peer (P2P) lending. While there are a lot of technicalities involved , at a stripped down level, the concept is - there are a group people who want to lend and there are a group of borrowers. P2P is primarily trying to bring these two through low costs media like internet and social network sites like facebook in the US. So why the need to invent a new mode of lending?

When I want to earn some interest on my savings, ( I would invest in equities !!) but for the portion that needs to go into the debt part ( you should should should have a balanced portfolio mind you!!) I keep them in banks. The banks give me x% and then lend it to corporates and other people who need funds at x+ delta %. The additional interest is called by Net interest margin figure ( NIM) in the analyst statements check it out. The spread is supposedly to cover for the various costs - admin, sales, Delinquencies, salaries etc..... but most banks make a lot of money in profits. While as a shareholder , I wouldn't mind, as a customer from both sides , I would like low cost options - enter P2P lending.

I think it will work fairly well in the US and in other countries with well developed credit rating systems. To be eligible for a loan on most P2P lending systems you need to have a minimum credit rating and even then even if you have large outstandings then you do not qualify. The network charges some admin expenses but the net as a medium will lower the costs significantly. Typically the network will also ensure they get a collection agency to collect ( unlike in India, I assume these guys are not goons !!) and report any default to the credit rating agencies.

So the most important component , the credit score is missing in India. CIBIL , the credit bureau has started in India, but a guy like me who has had no bounced cheques, no credit roll over, a fully repaid education loan, partly paid personal loan will still get treated like the same jetsam/flotsam who have multiple defaults.... so P2P is a far call in India still...

But chit funds, where few people get together, pool a sum of money for a fixed period and one of the participants gets the kitty by bidding for it , is quite similar a setup I think. while currently I think chit funds are being regulated by RBI ( need to check!) , I think its a wonderful instrument for people who do not have access to normal banking channels but have a good social network. Also maybe this model needs to checked by our uber cool Micro finance institutions and not try to become proxy banks and increase the costs...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My loan was rejected. Credit Sudhaar was my choice. Initially they were slow. But their counsellors were able to handle all my queries. I will give Credit Sudhaar a positive review