Friday, July 6, 2007

Caught in an investment bind

Right now I am evaluating a few investment opportunities :

1) locking in some returns by going into a close ended fund heading into redemption in the next 18 months
2) some value picks which came through my filters- where I have not been able to research my them : Currently evaluating : Areva T&D ( has made a move over the last 2 days - maybe a missed opportunity), the other value pickers favourite - Kirloskar Oil engines ltd, Paramount communications, Prajay Engineers, birla corporation.... hmm, where will I go, will study over the weekend
3) An exchange traded fund ( Whats that? - will post the next time) in a sector where I think there is a lot of opportunity.
4) Safe haven investment - bag the blue chips - L&T, SBI, Reliance

Whats the catch - I dont have money :-) ..... so much for planning. I have just booked about 115% + annualised returns on some cement investment ( avg holding 30+ days) - While I still hold some cement stock and am impressed with their pricing power, if it reaches further levels, i will exit further and see if I can move my profits elsewhere.... but atleast till 2009 beginning, I will love the sector - what will happen then - supposedly some supply will come through easing the pricing power.

And as an aside, my experience with my investment in Fixed Maturity Plan of HDFC has been good. If this continues, maybe I will move a higher amount to the FMP mode. ( I intend to post about FMPs and ETFs sometime very soon. Maybe I need also check out if there are any index funds in the sector I am targeting - Good news - SEBI has capped fund management fees at a lower level than active managed funds....

3 comments:

Nishit Chokhawala said...

hi deepak,

was searching for details abt paramount communications and got hit on your website!!,..

hey u too fan of paramount comm!!..

but i dont understand reason why this stock is so laggard esp after stock split....

Deepak said...

Hi Nestle,

Paramount came up on my radar when it passed a few tests on my filters. I watched the stock but decided, there will time before I can start accumulating the stock. There are better stocks like Manugraph right now

albina N muro said...

It outsells Office Depot and OfficeMax combined, but office supply retailers are hurting in a mobile-commerce world. gold ira in usa