Friday, August 24, 2007

Its in the DNA to succeed for startups.....

I am a sucker for taking my transactions online. Some make my life simple, some give me grief and some just plain irritate me. But yes, some surprise me....

I travel by air nearly once every week.... I have nearly taken all my air bookings online...I have tried Cleartrip, yatra, makemytrip, flight raja, indiatimes at sometime or other. While some have got the front end right ( flight raja, cleartrip), some backend ( yatra) some have got the full package going.... I booked with cleartrip once and ended with a ticket/ invoice with no fare calculations. Unlucky for me, this was a business trip where I had to claim this fare. So off I went to hunt for this invoice. Hell begins.... it took me 9 mins in the customer care Q to speak to the executive, who would speak to me and assure they will send me the invoice but nothing happened. 6 calls, 4 mails later... I gave up. Lost Rs. 12000 due to this...

The other instance, I tried insurancemall to buy insurance, was not satisfied and posted on this blog. Manish Jaiswal the CEO and MD, commented and took note of my rants. I was surprised. If I were to compare cleartrip and Insurance mall, insurance mall stood out by miles, and even when I have not given them my business still...

I think its in the teams and the DNA to succeed... to take finicky customers and still serve them. You might get funding from the biggest funds , you might have fancy founders, you might have a fantastic technology, swanky offices but if it is not in the team, every single one of them to serve the customer - you cant succeed. In this liberalized environment , you will not survive. I might be one in a billion for you, but i am still the centre of my universe....

PS: Guys try out insurancemall, and let me know if you like the service. I might have been an aberration!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm one of Cleartrip's founders and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your experience with Cleartrip.

If you ever need an invoice or pricing details about one of your bookings, you can get them instantly by signing into your Cleartrip account:
http://www.cleartrip.com/account

All your past and future bookings are available in your Cleartrip account with full pricing details.

Once again, you have my sincerest apologies and I hope this helps you get your Rs. 12,000 reimbursed.

Deepak said...

Hrush,

Was this feature available always or is it newly introduced? If it was around always, I am amazed your customer care guys just did not direct me to this. Anyways a nice feature. Appreciate you taking time off to take note of this.

Deepak

Unknown said...

Deepak--your Cleartrip Account has contained detailed information about your past and future trips from the time we launched.

Sometimes customers request a formal invoice which has to be generated from our accounting system. So, when you asked for an invoice, our customer service chaps must have assumed you wanted a formal invoice, where it seems all you really need is a record of your booking along with a breakup of the price you paid.