Monday, August 27, 2007

Eighth wonder of the world - Bangalore Roads

I am amazed by the state of bangalore roads, I have to give it to the new government, they have been asphalting the roads at atleast a pace I have never seen before in my short life span...The last time I remember such frantic action was post the JH patel government was replaced, the state of roads then was something I will never forget...

So whats the problem? I think the average life of a Bangalore road is about 5 months, that is if it was laid before the monsoon, if during the monsoon as of now, then about 3 months, if post monsoon, maybe 6 months , but when you are on an average spending ~ > a crore / km for a stretch, dont you expect better life?

I dont buy the crap of rains, we are not the only country that experiences tropical rains and I dont buy the nonsense of lack of engineering talent, resources we are spending enough I think....

I am sick of this corruption, while maybe I should find out using Right to information if there was any independent quality check, was there any performance guarantee etc..... crores and crores of rupees spent on roads can be spent on education maybe, primary health more so, child nutrition or 100 other things...but am sure the road contractor lobby and all the ministers who are in cahoots with these guys will never let this happen.. I am depressed :(

In all why did I call Bangalore roads the eighth wonder - it represents the pits of public corruption, heights of public apathy, the engineering wonder of showing us the moon surface every single day, enriching the doctors due to slip disks, helping reduce population by creating accidents and teaching us the strength of chemical bonds ( or lack of) in bitumen !!!!

No comments: