Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lessons learnt in each job....

I have been in my new avatar as an investment banker for close to a month, its been exciting, tiring, interesting and all those good things you can say about a job... This is my third role post my MBA and this got me thinking.... this post actually is a notes to myself, because I want to actually list what I learnt in each place and a private note on the screwups .... so here goes -

1- Corporate -
  • Initiative is rewarded- no structured learning happens, so if you think a step needs to be taken to meet a goal take it - speak to your boss, he might want credit if it works, it is always good to let them take credit. Finally as long as he is fair, you will thrive.
  • Politics is prevalent - dont let it ruffle you- use it, dont play dirty , but dont spare the jerks
  • People are important - technical stuff anybody can learn - people will bail you out where knowledge might fail - and people teach you stuff which you might take years to learn by yourself
  • Dont forget the obvious - stating the obvious might lead to the best result
2 - Consulting
  • With access to the net - information is abundant - make intelligent connections - When searching in google, the most obvious string might be the best
  • Communicate communicate communicate - there is no such thing as over communication within your team and with your manager
  • Solve the problem - but first know what it is - A problem might be the symptom -
  • Structure your moves - Sometimes the only value might be structure to remove the clutter
  • Read the text books - They didnt write those fat books for nothing!! but learn from the team
  • Presentation is as important as the content ( forgot this last week :( )
3 - Ibanking
  • Multi tasking - Compartmentalising your capability to work is important
  • God is in detail ( has been important in all jobs, but impact will be higher in this role)
I am sure there will be more in the third bucket. Note that I am not talking about the technical skills like presentation making, financial model making, industry landscape generation etc... they are job specific and you anyway learn them.... I want to record the softer skills, so that I dont forget....and these become second nature


So , if some of you who have worked with me want to contribute, pl feel free to add......

No comments: