Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Action points on the financial front

I have been investing in the market for a long long time, but had stopped in the middle for some years during my MBA and then for sometime during my first employment primarily due to lack of investible funds. Then about 3 years ago I started investing and have been regularly. Then somewhere, I decided to actively plan my finance completely. So I have been trying for a complete coverage - not just on the assets side but also on the liabilities side. I used my bonuses to pay off my education loan well before time, then took a loan to put that down payment on a flat and paid it off with the next bonus. Now I have a loan taken to fund my brothers education and I will let it run its course, since the cost of prepaying that loan is very high.

I have a SIP running every month - and I juggle around which funds I invest in based on how my portfolio is looking. I take turns in investing in a base fund like Fidelity equity, HDFC equity then shift to growth options like Reliance growth, Reliance Regular savings fund, Magnum Global and then sector/ contra bets like magnum contra, DSPML Tech, Bank BEES.

I have investments in equity directly. Most of them are shares not owned by the funds I own. Its also to do with the thought process of benchmarking my own stock picking skills over the fund managers :) , Will post how I did in about a years time.

Right now, I think I have a low insurance cover. I want to buy term cover - have explored the options, just need to execute it. Actually, I will increase my insurance cover drastically over the next 2-3 years, but primarily term covers with residual cover after the premium payment period if possible.

I need to brush up on my derivatives front and start investing there - but that is the target for April 08 - when I estimate I will have more investible funds ( read - can also lose more!!)

Need to evaluate if I should take a pension plan anytime soon and how it will work out.

Investment in commodities is also on the horizon - but need to think through.

Primarily - I want to setup a sizeable passive income stream which will contribute to my investment corpus soon.

In case I seem to have missed out on some very obvious things - leave a comment, will be grateful.

No comments: