Saturday, October 6, 2007

What to do when you quit a job?

This is a post that is a follow up on my learnings from job post - People asked me how do you exit a company.

I have exited a company thrice by now and each one was an experience in itself. When I quit the Bangalore stock exchange - people were happy for me as I was heading to IIM-B and they wished me luck. Even now when people from the Exchange meet me, its a family feeling and they are proud of where I have reached.

Coca Cola, my next employer was the worst exit till date for me. I quit and I thought I indicated quite well why I quit. I was asked to deliver on a few things before I left and ensure the thinks I was working on did not completely fall through. My last 30 days were far more chaotic than what most people on 'notice period' would have. The HR people kept dilly dallying and my notice period writeoff (90 days in all and I served 60+ days). I was told by my department it will get waived but ultimately I shelled more than 2 months take home for they actually took stuff like PF, canteen money etc from me while cashing my leave ( 45 days) at a piddly basic rate.

KPMG was very nice and professionally done. And the exit was so smooth, its a pity they put their best face when I was on my way out. So what are the lessons

1. Speak to your boss first when you have decided - have an official chat and an unofficial chat ( the latter if you share the rapport)
2. Immediately speak to your Head of department and tender the resignation in writing copy marked to HR - Get your HR to tell you the procedures and get your boss/ HOD to tell you what is expected of you before you leave
3. Create a backup of all your work and cross reference them for future use within the organisation. Leave notes where required - Trust me being a good employee also shows great professionalism
4. Inform the team you work with ( when , depends on the understanding with your boss/ HOD) and ask if there is anything that they need from you - You might work with again so leave a good taste - Also people reference these days through a lot of things - you never know the guy in the next cubicle might be the guy they call!!
5. Start your signoffs sooner than the last day. It usually takes time. So dont wait for the last day. Leave your contact details - let people know where they can find you.
6. Keep in touch with people who were good friends - to put it differently, keep in touch with people you know will be of any assistance. Remember its quid pro quo - if you are useful to them, they will be of use to you.
7. If you had a mentor in the organisation - stay in touch - my guide from coke is still my best career advisor, the manager I worked the best in KPMG is still my guide when I am stuck.
8. Every organisation builds you professionally - acknowledge the good part, leave constructive feedback ( most organisations dont take it well - so dont criticize too much!!) and see the people in the organisation different from the organisation

No comments: