Saturday, December 1, 2007

Analysing my investment performance...

Although I regularly track my portfolio and juggle around my portfolio, the last 10 weeks I have actually monitored it closely since I am trying to decide if it is worth spending time on research. Every stock pick I do takes me anywhere between 8-10 hours of research and digging that much time these days is becoming a fairly difficult, with the increasing work load... so what are the results...

During this time the market ( defined as Nifty) has given a return of 17% ( all return figures are absolute and inclusive of transaction charges - not taking into account any tax which needs to be paid if i book profits now)

I have a mutual fund portfolio, which is probably 3.5 to 4 times larger than my stock portfolio and that returned about 19% during the same period.

My stock portfolio on the other hand has returned ~37% during the same period. This is post the entry costs... So my own stock portfolio is doing better. But wait, the risk profile is not the same across these 3 things. While Nifty is mostly large cap, my MF portfolio is a mix of large cap, small cap and some minuscule debt. On the other hand my stock portfolio is more of mid to small caps... so based on risk return equation maybe they are all running their own races well enough. I think come new year, I will re jig my MF portfolio, there are some laggards and shift the money to better options.

But still, is it worth doing my own stock picking, I think I will keep trying this for another year or so, see the results and then decide... I will update this in about 2 months time again... so keep coming back.

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

Supported by leading-edge technology, our experienced performance and risk consultants not only analyse and aggregate data across your investments. silver ira account