Sunday, July 6, 2008

Some questions...

I kind of like the philosophy Hinduism propounds ( don't ask me what it is, there are just too many, so pick up something that suits you!!!) - not that I am religious - am more as someone once told me, karmic than dharmic - but I find it interesting that a single religion can allow thoughts where you can consider yourself one with God ( Advaitha - literally meaning 'not double'), dwaitha (literally meaning - two different ) and vishistadvaitha ( a form of advaitha - where thought goes that while in human form humans and God are different, once you reach God, you become same) - most religions I have basic knowledge of do not allow such wide spectrum of thoughts ( mind you : I am probably a novice in this region , so please feel free to correct me , will be really glad to learn more here). But then what gets my goat and given the fact that these thoughts have been with us for maybe 1500 years, why did we treat a section of our society so badly? I am a Brahmin, so while I can understand the power that might have resided in the caste due to knowledge, what I fail to understand is when we could be so tolerant to religious thoughts ( remember : belief based persecution is what is most prevalent in human history) , how is it that we failed to uplift the sections of society we left behind?

Even assuming there was no higher intention, someone should have moved these sections just for the power...why did it not happen at all? Interestingly, as a caste, while maybe Brahmins excelled in knowledge and maybe that allowed them to adapt to changing conditions sooner, my guess would be that most Brahmins would be the working middle class even today...so it was not money that drove the so called 'upper caste' to this...

I am all for affirmative action, maybe even reservation, maybe priority over natural resources as our beloved 'toothless' prime minister wants us to believe... but correcting a mistake does not mean you make the same mistake...

No comments: